Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

THE DAILY DONUT 2012- VINNY'S LA ROMA ZEPPOLI

Growing up on the Maryland Eastern Shore in the 70's in a Welsh/Irish/English family, we very rarely ate Italian food. Sure, I was familiar with pizza and spaghetti with meatballs, we even had pasta "shells", but they were used to make fancy macaroni and cheese. It was not until I started working part-time, driving, and dating that I realized the local pizza restaurant had much more to offer.


I had been to La Roma for pizza many times, I think I even had my 10th birthday in the building when it was a Roy Rogers restaurant, but I had never tried any of the other foods. My first foray into the realm of "not pizza" was the CALZONE. In 1982 you could buy a calzone, basically an inside -out pizza with ham, ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce on the side for $5 bucks including a pitcher of Coke! The same $5 bucks would also fill the gas tank of my 1967 Mustang and let me drive all week! The perfect date meal! I actually had a little money left over for desert and Vinny Bellia, owner of Vinny's La Roma, introduced me to the....


For those who may be unfamiliar, the Zeppola(Zeppoli is the Southern Italian spelling) is an Italian donut sometimes called a sfinge or Bigne' di S Giuseppe(St. Joseph's Day Cake). Prayers to St Joseph prevented a famine in Sicily during the Middle Ages. St. Joe is also the patron saint of all pastry chefs. I knew I liked that guy!

Vinny's La Roma Zeppoli

These light puffy pastries make a great desert. They are lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar and sometimes even drizzled with a little chocolate sauce. Always brought to the table fresh and hot! I have been eating these guys for over 30 years! More than one Zeppoli or Zeppola is Zeppole! That is the way I like them, in groups! I had to share these with Shelby and I think she ate two and only left one for me. I know where I can get more! Stop in to see Vinny at La Roma  934 South Salisbury Blvd in Salisbury, MD(410-742-2380). You can also "friend" Vinny on Facebook or check out the website at www.vinnyslaroma.com!

EAT HAPPY!

No comments: